I have been reluctant to spend a lot of money on the Google Studio AI lab. So, I set a $25 cap and spend against it, with the idea that it will cut me off before I get a $500K bill like that unlucky company in the news last week.
I was at a point where I had two versions of the manuscript (well, 3 really if you go back and count the 127,000-word fever dream that started me down the local LLM journey).
I put this prompt into Gemini Flash, Standard:
Critique these two takes on Chapter 1
Script A (attached the long and repetitive version from the Local LM)
and Script B (attached the "corrected" version from Google Studio)
Google returned a response indicating that Script A is bloated but has great detail, and Script B is to the point but dry and light.
This was the recommendation:
## Recommendations & The "Ideal" Chapter 1
Both scripts have immense merit, but Script B is the far stronger opening chapter because it initiates the plot. Script A feels like a chapter where characters stand around explaining the world through their presence, whereas Script B uses the world to explode the status quo.
To create the ultimate version of this opening, consider blending the two:
Keep Script B’s Core Narrative Arc: Use the love-test, Aria’s defiance ("Nothing, my Sovereign"), and her immediate banishment. This provides the essential narrative hook for a Chapter 1.
Import Script A’s Architectural Terror: Script B loses some of the brilliant architectural worldbuilding of Script A. Allow Aria to navigate the "recalibrating corridors" on her way to the amphitheater before the test begins, establishing her "Perfect Imperfect" gait.
Hold Back the Ensemble: Save Axel, Kai, Mercury, and Edgar for later chapters. Allow Jax to keep his brief intervention (as a Kent-type figure), but keep the spotlight strictly on the tragedy of Zane, his daughters, and Aria. This keeps the reader focused on the immediate emotional fallout of an empire beginning to fracture from the top down.
So I cranked in the 20 chapters, with 2 versions each, for the rewrite, incorporating the strengths of each into the "ideal" chapters.
The resulting combination is about 33,000 words across 20 chapters. Some chapters are sub 750 words and a few are longer. The mindless repetitions are gone. And some of the fever dream's more irritating antics are controlled.
I am going to post the results of this last iteration weekly and, hopefully, edit the upcoming chapters as I go.
No comments:
Post a Comment